Definition of casuarina in English:
A tree with slender, jointed, drooping twigs that resemble horsetails and bear tiny scalelike leaves. It is native to Australia and Southeast Asia, and is a valuable source of timber and firewood.
- Genus Casuarina, family Casuarinaceae
- Planting makes use of indigenous species, like the frothy casuarinas (feathery tree native to Australia) along the northern edges of the site and the native grasses which cover low earth berms around the range.
- This bird is a ground forager, feeding on proteas, casuarinas and other small trees.
- Bermuda extends 21 square miles, and much of it is covered by introduced species like the casuarinas tree, an import from Australia.
from modern Latin casuarius 'cassowary' (from the resemblance of the branches to the bird's feathers).
Definition of casuarina in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan