Definition of casuist in English:
1A person who uses clever but unsound reasoning, especially in relation to moral questions; a sophist.
- My impression of him as a witness was that he was an inveterate casuist to say the least, and at times I was in wholehearted agreement with the claimant's representative's suggestions during cross examination that he was a stranger to the truth.
- He is a first-class rationalizer, a casuist of rare accomplishment, and a truly gifted procrastinator.
1.1A person who resolves moral problems by the application of theoretical rules to particular instances.
- Yes, I don't totally think of myself as a casuist because those are people who are working with given rules, if you like.
- This moral dilemma, again, is addressed specifically by the casuists.
- The ‘caso’ of whether to inform the king when a family member has committed a crime is one that the Spanish casuists addressed specifically in the confessors' manuals.
- Example sentences
- This is pretty legalistic reasoning, which many people may - rightly or wrongly - consider casuistic to the point of silliness.
- She thus tries to cover herself with a casuistic distinction that breaks down the moment you try to analyse what she means.
- The students seem drawn to its clarity and concreteness, and there is no shortage of casuistic questions concerning its intricacies.
- Example sentences
- But at least they would have been compelled to test their casuistical skills.
- You can adduce further cases, I'm sure, of scenes in novels that fit a casuistical model, in which characters convince themselves that their behavior does conform to their obligations or, if not, that it deviates in a principled fashion.
- Eastern Orthodox bioethics is distinct from that of traditional Roman Catholicism in that medical morality is not governed by the casuistical application of a natural law known by all through discursive reason.
Words that rhyme with casuistvoodooist • altruist
Definition of casuist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.