- (Of a metrical line of verse) lacking one syllable in the last foot.More example sentences
- The concept of catalexis and the catalectic verse is important in the study of the anapaestic dimeter.
- A minus sign in the notation indicates the line is catalectic, a plus sign indicates a hypermetric line.
- The lines gradually increase from a trochaic monometer catalectic to a complicated decamter of spondees, anapaests, paeons, and dactyls.
nounBack to top
late 16th century: from late Latin catalecticus, from Greek katalēktikos, from katalēgein 'leave off'.
More definitions of catalecticDefinition of catalectic in:
- The British & World English dictionary