- Of or relating to primates of a group that comprises the Old World monkeys, gibbons, great apes, and humans. They are distinguished by having nostrils that are close together and directed downward. Compare with platyrrhine.More example sentences
- It has been independently lost or reduced in several amniote lineages, however, including crocodilians, birds, tuataras, iguanian lizards, cetaceans, and catarrhine primates.
- However, it may represent a peroneus digiti V superior or longus, such as seen in catarrhine monkeys.
- Distal radii of catarrhine primates exhibiting different forms of locomotion and hand postures were examined.
nounBack to top
mid 19th century: from cata- 'down' + Greek rhis, rhin- 'nose'.
More definitions of catarrhineDefinition of catarrhine in:
- The British & World English dictionary