- 1The area from which rainfall flows into a river, lake, or reservoir.More example sentences
- The scheme is aimed at enhancing rivers and lakes in the Mayo catchment area.
- Contrary to heavy rainfall in the plains, there seems to be less rainfall in the catchment area of the Gobind Sagar reservoir in Himachal Pradesh.
- The lake overflowed as the catchment area of the lake has been receiving heavy rain for the last one week.
- 2chiefly British The area of a city, town, etc., from which a hospital’s patients or school’s students are drawn.More example sentences
- She said one third of pupils in her school's catchment area went to other schools, a scenario which is likely to worsen in the future.
- He said that as many as a dozen pupils live within the catchment area, but travel to the neighbouring primary school.
- The Minister acknowledged the need to provide additional accommodation for older people at the District Hospital to serve the catchment area.
More definitions of catchment areaDefinition of catchment area in:
- The British & World English dictionary