- A vegetable extract containing tannin, especially one (also called cutch) obtained from the heartwood of an Indian acacia tree, used chiefly for tanning and dyeing.
More example sentences
- The chief source of this is Acacia catechu, family Leguminosae
- Gutkha is a mixture of areca, catechu, betel nut, lime, tobacco and mint.
- Extracts of areca catechu, rhus coppallina, diospyros virginiana, sassafrass albidium, and chenopodium ambrosiodes were found to produce tumors in rats.
- Nair et al. first demonstrated that aqueous extracts of areca nut and catechu were capable of generating superoxide anion and hydrogen peroxide at pH > 9.5.
late 17th century: modern Latin, from Malay kacu. Compare with cachou.
More definitions of catechuDefinition of catechu in:
- The British & World English dictionary