(also category error)
- The error of assigning to something a quality or action that can properly be assigned to things only of another category, for example, treating abstract concepts as though they had a physical location.More example sentences
- Indeed, some opponents of temporal-parts theories contend that the theory rests on just such a category mistake - the mistake of treating persisting objects as if they were processes.
- To apply the political term ‘authoritarian’ to an ontological account may at first seem to be a simple category mistake.
- In the words of the philosophers, it is a category mistake to put miracles and laws in the same set.
More definitions of category mistakeDefinition of category mistake in:
- The British & World English dictionary