- The surface generated by rotating a catenary about its horizontal axis.More example sentences
- The catenoid is a minimal surface with ‘too much’ negative curvature.
- Soap bubbles and cell membranes are often catenoids, and molecules may knit together to form helicoid surfaces, emblems of stable energy states.
- These catenoids are the first explicitly known discrete minimal surfaces besides the trivial plane.
late 19th century: from Latin catena 'chain' + -oid.
More definitions of catenoidDefinition of catenoid in:
- The British & World English dictionary