noun (plural same or catfishes)
- 1A freshwater or marine fish with whiskerlike barbels around the mouth, typically bottom-dwelling.
More example sentences
- Order Siluriformes: many families, including the Eurasian family Siluridae and the large North American family Ictaluridae
- The presence of year-round rivers also provides Iraq with freshwater fish such as catfish and members of the genus Barbus.
- Other fishes, such as catfishes and burbots, probably eat the young shovelnose sturgeons.
- Especially well adapted to low or nonexistent light levels are several new species of electric fishes and catfishes.
- 2 another term for wolffish.
More definitions of catfishDefinition of catfish in:
- The British & World English dictionary