- The principal church of a diocese, with which the bishop is officially associated: [in names]: St. Paul’s CathedralMore example sentences
- With the exception of Worcester Cathedral, William appointed Norman bishops to these cathedrals.
- And what is true of the Minster is true of the cathedrals and parish churches throughout the land.
- Thus early monasteries may be associated with cathedrals, colleges, and minsters.
Middle English (as an adjective, the noun being short for cathedral church 'the church that contains the bishop's throne'): from late Latin cathedralis, from Latin cathedra 'seat', from Greek kathedra.
More definitions of cathedralDefinition of cathedral in:
- The British & World English dictionary