Definition of cattail in English:
A tall, reedlike marsh plant with straplike leaves and a dark brown, velvety cylindrical head of numerous tiny flowers. Also called reed mace, bulrush.
- Genus Typha, family Typhaceae: several species, in particular the common cattail (T. latifolia)
- Plants like cattails, bulrushes, jewelweed, and the lovely cardinal flower do best with alternating wet and dry periods, and survive flooding as long as most of the leaves are out of the water.
- The herbaceous vegetation would have been rich and diverse, including, for example, cattail, buttonbush, numerous sedges, grasses and rushes, and bushy willows and alder.
- By repeatedly removing the leaves on cattail plants, the food supply in the underground tuber will be depleted and the plant will eventually die.
Definition of cattail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan