(also cauliflower mushroom)
Definition of cauliflower fungus in English:
An edible fungus that forms a distinctive fruiting body with a yellowish lobed surface, growing on wood and other plant debris in both Eurasia and North America.
- Genus Sparassis and family Sparassidaceae, class Basidiomycetes: several species, in particular S. crispa
- However, what is properly called cauliflower fungus in English belongs to another family.
- Our western cauliflower fungus has a characteristic deep-rooted base, which the eastern cauliflower fungus lacks.
- The more adventurous should also look out for the spectacular, nutty cauliflower fungus at the foot of pine trees or the under-appreciated oak milk cap, which has a carroty flavour.
Definition of cauliflower fungus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia