Definition of cavefish in English:
noun (plural same or cavefishes)
A small colorless fish that lives only in limestone caves in North America. It has reduced or absent eyes, and the head and body are covered with papillae that are sensitive to vibration. Also called blindfish.
- Family Amblyopsidae: four genera, in particular Amblyopsis and Typhlichthys
- Researchers work in the dark caves where the Ozark cavefish evolved with no eyes.
- The Ozark cavefish and Ozark cave crayfish seem to be stable, although actual population sizes are unknown.
- Southern cavefish are important members of their ecosystems and important research subjects for understanding evolution in extreme environments.
Definition of cavefish in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India