(also cayenne pepper)
- A pungent hot-tasting red powder prepared from ground dried chili peppers.More example sentences
- The spices - turmeric, black pepper, coriander, fenugreek, cumin and cayenne - formed something similar to a basic Madras curry powder, missing only the sweeter spices.
- Melt the butter in a large pot, then add the onion, celery, leek, curry powder, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, thyme and saffron.
- Deeply fragrant, it usually contains cardamom, coriander, allspice, cayenne, ginger, cloves and nutmeg and, invariably dried rose petals.
early 18th century: from Tupi kyynha, quiynha, later associated with Cayenne.
More definitions of CayenneDefinition of cayenne in:
- The British & World English dictionary