Definition of celadon in English:
1A willow-green color: [as modifier]: paneling painted in celadon green
More example sentences
- We set off, testing our legs beside the Arun Khola that runs celadon green, wide and whispering through its namesake Arun Valley.
- Then put the above advice to work in the reverse: choose a celadon green sofa, with cushions in brick red and celadon, or in deep gold and brick red.
- Allowing herself to go bold when that felt right, Reva chose crimson for the dining room, sunburst orange for the office, celadon green for the bedroom, and pale lemony citron for the living room.
1.1A gray-green glaze used on pottery, especially that from China.
- His technique involves throwing beakers, bowls, bottles and lidded jars in Limoges porcelain, which are then glazed using combinations of tenmoku and a deep celadon.
- Its complexity pulls the viewer around it to notice the edges of the raw clay poking through the luscious gloss of its dark celadon glaze.
1.2Pottery made with celadon glaze.
- Klein and Reid's inspiration comes from such far-flung sources as American diner china, antique Asian celadons, and Dutch tulipieres, which inspired their crushingly elegant series of rose bowls and tulip vases.
- After Yoo died in 1993, Tani started exhibiting his own Koryo celadon wares, including an exhibition in October in Vienna.
- Jaya accentuated on colors to support the theme and used mainly dark red, white and gold to accompany a beautiful collection of antique jade and several 14th century celadon dishes from Sukhothai, Thailand.
mid 18th century: from French céladon, a color named after the hero in d'Urfé's pastoral romance L'Astrée (1607–27).
Words that rhyme with celadonClarendon
Definition of celadon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan