noun (plural celebrities)
- 1A famous person.More example sentences
- Over the past few days various local celebrities and sports stars have called in to offer their support.
- Because underneath it all, these stars and celebrities are just normal people.
- It is easy to see why some celebrities change their name when fame beckons.
- 1.1The state of being well known: his prestige and celebrity grewMore example sentences
- They have achieved celebrity, not true fame, as all people sound of mind will understand.
- As long as they were near a main road, they could achieve national celebrity.
- Such reticence, of course, is a cardinal sin in a media world that worships the gods of celebrity and fame.
late Middle English (in the sense 'solemn ceremony'): from Old French celebrite or Latin celebritas, from celeber, celebr- 'frequented or honored'.