Definition of celery in English:
A cultivated plant of the parsley family, with closely packed succulent leafstalks that are eaten raw or cooked.
- Apium graveolens variety dulce, family Umbelliferae
- Finely chop the shallots, garlic, basil, celery, parsley and beetroot and place in a bowl.
- Slice the carrots, leeks and celery and add to the pot with the parsley stalks and bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan, then sauté the carrot, celery and onion until golden.
Mid 17th century: from French céleri, from Italian dialect selleri, based on Greek selinon 'parsley'.
Words that rhyme with celeryharlotry • pedlary
Definition of celery in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.