noun[treated as singular]
- The branch of theoretical astronomy that deals with the calculation of the motions of celestial objects such as planets.More example sentences
- He contributed to many areas of astronomy and mathematics including celestial mechanics, analytic mechanics, statistics and numerical analysis.
- Modern scholarship has not seriously affected his stature in the fields of mathematics, dynamics, celestial mechanics, astronomy, optics, natural philosophy, or cosmology.
- Eclipses could be predicted with utmost precision, without the need for an understanding of celestial mechanics and the use of elaborate calculations on an electronic computer.
More definitions of celestial mechanicsDefinition of celestial mechanics in:
- The British & World English dictionary