- 1An insoluble substance that is the main constituent of plant cell walls and of vegetable fibers such as cotton. It is a polysaccharide consisting of chains of glucose monomers.More example sentences
- Dietary fibre consists of plant material such as cellulose, hemicellulose, pectin, polysaccharides, gums, mucilage and lignin.
- Several recent publications have described the properties of composites of bacterial cellulose with plant cell wall polysaccharides.
- Major constituents of the cell wall are cellulose, hemicelluloses and pectins.
- 2Paint or lacquer consisting principally of cellulose acetate or nitrate in solution.More example sentences
- The float is then given two coats of cellulose paint to seal it.
- The balsa wood was giving two coats of cellulose paint to seal it.
- Drawn by the smell of petrol and cellulose paint, Angus wandered into a car enthusiast's glory hole.
- More example sentences
- While companies like Iogen, a Canadian biofuel company, research ways to make cellulosic ethanol commercially viable, corn-based ethanol is only affordable to consumers through tax subsidies.
- These data confirmed our earlier conclusions that pointed toward the fact that MWL is more photoreactive when absorbed on a cellulosic fiber matrix, most likely due to the larger surface area provided when it is absorbed on a fiber matrix.
- Unlike conventional ethanol, bioethanol is made not from grain, but from cellulosic biomass, such as wheat straw, sugar cane bagasse, and corn stovers and stalks left over after harvesting.
Pronunciation: /ˌselyəˈlōsik, -ˈlōzik/adjective
mid 19th century: from French, from cellule 'small cell' + -ose2.
More definitions of celluloseDefinition of cellulose in:
- The British & World English dictionary