noun (plural centauries)
A widely distributed herbaceous plant of the gentian family, typically having pink petals atop long calyx tubes.
- Centaurium and related genera, family Gentianaceae: many species, including the wild C. pulchellum and the cultivated ornamental C. scilloides
More example sentences
- Centaury varies a great deal according to) its situation, and some botanists enumerate several distinct species.
- The leaves, stems, and flowers of centaury are used medicinally.
- The mythical centaur Chironia, cured a poison arrow wound with centaury, hence its name.
late Middle English: from late Latin centaurea, based on Greek kentauros 'centaur' (because its medicinal properties were said to have been discovered by the centaur Chiron).
More definitions of centauryDefinition of centaury in:
- The British & World English dictionary