Definition of centrifugal in English:
Moving or tending to move away from a center. The opposite of centripetal.
- Einstein warmed to the idea that the gravitational field of the rest of the Universe might explain centrifugal and other inertial forces resulting from acceleration.
- That produced a small centrifugal displacement of the beam indicative of its velocity distribution as imaged by faint deposits of silver.
- In this schema, circulation was entirely centrifugal: blood moved only outward from the heart and liver to the various parts of the body, where it was consumed for nourishment.
- Example sentences
- This patient's condition is characterized by nonindurated, annular patches of centrifugally expanding erythema and desquamation at the inner margin.
- Research suggests that erythema migrans most commonly presents as a centrifugally expanding, erythematous annular patch.
- It begins as a small red papule at the site of the bite, expanding centrifugally over days to weeks.
Definition of centrifugal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia