- A minute cylindrical organelle near the nucleus in animal cells, occurring in pairs and involved in the development of spindle fibers in cell division.More example sentences
- In most animal cells, the centrosome contains a pair of centrioles, which consist of an array of microtubules.
- Glaucophytes undergo open mitosis and lack centrioles associated with the centrosomes.
- It is the sperm basal body that serves as a centriole in the zygotic microtubule organizing center.
late 19th century: from modern Latin centriolum, diminutive of centrum (see center).
More definitions of centrioleDefinition of centriole in:
- The British & World English dictionary