- In fact, we did not find any informative marker in the three chromosomal divisions around the centromere of this chromosome.
- The presence of a kinetochore spot indicates the centromere region of each chromosome.
- We conclude that chromosomes with damaged centromeres fail to correctly attach to the spindle, thus producing MN and monosomy.
- Example sentences
- Strains were transformed with a control centromeric plasmid or a centromeric plasmid carrying the wild-type GUK1 gene.
- In Drosophila, relocation of a euchromatic gene near centromeric or telomeric heterochromatin often leads to its mosaic silencing.
- In addition, binding of the yeast CBF3 kinetochore complex to centromeric DNA was severely compromised in this mutant.
Early 20th century (originally denoting a region within the oocyst of a malaria parasite): from Latin centrum (see center) + Greek meros 'part'. The current sense dates from the 1930s.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of centromere in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.