noun (plural centrums or centra /-trə/)Anatomy
- The solid central part of a vertebra, to which the arches and processes are attached.More example sentences
- On the dorsal side of the centrum is the neural arch, through which the nerve cord or spinal cord passes.
- Many of the vertebrae of the Ada Ophiacodon are represented by isolated centra or neural arches, or a suture clearly defines the boundary between these two elements.
- Nearly all of the vertebrae within this sequence are complete, with the centra and neural arches fused.
mid 19th century: from Latin.
More definitions of centrumDefinition of centrum in:
- The British & World English dictionary