- An edible European and North American mushroom with a smooth brown cap, a stout white stalk, and pores rather than gills, growing in dry woodland and much sought after as a delicacy. Also called king bolete, porcini.
More example sentences
- Boletus edulis, family Boletaceae, class Basidiomycetes
- But even when gastronomic curiosity overcomes fear, it can be disconcerting to discover that the most highly prized and delicious ones (the morel, the cep and the chanterelle, for example) have poisonous lookalikes.
- My favourite wild mushrooms are ceps and chanterelles or girolles.
- Like other boletus mushrooms, ceps are liable to infestation by larval insects.
mid 19th century: from French cèpe, from Gascon cep 'tree trunk, mushroom', from Latin cippus 'stake'.
More definitions of cepDefinition of cep in:
- The British & World English dictionary