Definition of ceratite in English:
An ammonoid fossil of an intermediate type found chiefly in the Permian and Triassic periods, typically with partly frilled and partly lobed suture lines. Compare with ammonite and goniatite.
- Typified by the genus Ceratites, order Ceratida
- The suture lines of ceratites are less complex, and those of goniatites even less so than ceratites.
- Consequently, sutural nomenclature of Permian ceratites and Mesozoic ammonoids has to be modified.
- At last tracking structures indicate different viscoelastical properties of the septal mantle in goniatites, ceratites and ammonites.
Definition of ceratite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India