Definition of ceratopsian in English:
A gregarious quadrupedal herbivorous dinosaur of a group found in the Cretaceous period, including triceratops. It had a large beaked and horned head and a bony frill protecting the neck.
- Infraorder Ceratopsia, order Ornithischia
- Within dinosaur families that had relatively similar body types, such as the hadrosaurs (duck-billed dinosaurs) or ceratopsians (such as Triceratops), there is an incredible range of diversity.
- An alternate view, that ceratopsians and pachycephalosaurs diverged from ornithopod dinosaurs in the Late Jurassic, is more consistent with the preserved biostratigraphic evidence.
- The ornithischians (‘bird-hipped’ dinosaurs) are herbivores, and include the plated Stegosaurus, the armored Ankylosaurus, horned ceratopsians, and duck-billed hadrosaurids.
Definition of ceratopsian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan