Definition of cesspool in English:
1An underground container for the temporary storage of liquid waste and sewage.
- The Appellant owns and uses two tractors for the purpose of his business of emptying cesspools and discharging the waste on agricultural land.
- Physicians attributed the primary cause of disease to miasmas emanating from sewage, cesspools, or rotting vegetable matter.
- Place tight covers over cisterns, cesspools, septic tanks, fire barrels, rain barrels and tubs where water is stored.
1.1A disgusting or corrupt place: they should clean out their own political cesspool
More example sentences
- Our whole system is nothing but a corrupt cesspool of legalized bribery!
- Hersh's work won him a Pulitzer, and he's continued digging into military and political cesspools, including the CIA's bombing of Cambodia and its actions against Chile's Salvador Allende.
- But whether the Cabinet falls or not, Czechs know that very little will change, for the cesspool that is Czech political culture runs very deep indeed.
Definition of cesspool in:
- British & World English dictionary