Definition of cetane in English:
A colorless liquid hydrocarbon of the alkane series, used as a solvent.
- Alternative name: n-hexadecane; chemical formula: C16H34
- Its density, viscosity, cetane index, combustion point, and several other parameters they looked at compare favorably with those of ethyl esters of sunflower, rape, groundnut, and soybean oils.
- The secret formula behind the new diesel relies upon an increase in cetane; the equivalent of octane used in petrol.
- The composition may optionally also contain pour point depressants, cetane improvers, carbon-containing compounds which react with water, and/or emulsifiers.
Definition of cetane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.