noun (plural chaetae /-tē/)Zoology
- A stiff bristle made of chitin, especially in an annelid worm.More example sentences
- The microscopic structure of the setae is identical to that of the chaetae of polychaete worms.
- Likewise, the relative recalcitrance of various non-mineralizing tissues such as algal cyst walls, graptolite periderm, polychaete chaetae and arthropod cuticles contributes to their enhanced preservation potential.
- In this respect, as indeed in their microstructure, the sclerites of Wiwaxia are fundamentally more comparable to polychaete chaetae.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek khaitē 'long hair'.
More definitions of chaetaDefinition of chaeta in:
- The British & World English dictionary