Definition of chaffinch in English:
A Eurasian and North African finch, typically with a bluish top to the head and dark wings and tail.
- Genus Fringilla, family Fringillidae: two species, in particular F. coelebs, which (in the male of the typical European form) has a pinkish face and breast
- As I write, the old Bramley apple in our garden is occupied by a variety of finches: greenfinches, chaffinches and bramblings.
- Dog roses, bramble, nettles and thistles provide good for birds such as goldfinch, greenfinch, chaffinches and the occasional rarity such as brambling or bullfinch.
- The list was impressive and included robins, starlings, a goldfinch, blackbirds, redwings, chaffinches, wood pigeons and black-headed gulls.
Old English ceaffinc 'chaff finch' (because it forages around barns, picking seeds out of the chaff).
Definition of chaffinch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan