A Eurasian and North African finch, typically with a bluish top to the head and dark wings and tail.
- Genus Fringilla, family Fringillidae: two species, in particular F. coelebs, which (in the male of the typical European form) has a pinkish face and breast
More example sentences
- As I write, the old Bramley apple in our garden is occupied by a variety of finches: greenfinches, chaffinches and bramblings.
- Dog roses, bramble, nettles and thistles provide good for birds such as goldfinch, greenfinch, chaffinches and the occasional rarity such as brambling or bullfinch.
- The list was impressive and included robins, starlings, a goldfinch, blackbirds, redwings, chaffinches, wood pigeons and black-headed gulls.
Old English ceaffinc 'chaff finch' (because it forages around barns, picking seeds out of the chaff).
Definition of chaffinch in:
- The British & World English dictionary