Definition of chain-smoke in English:
Smoke continually, especially by lighting a new cigarette from the butt of the last one smoked.
- I spent my working hours chain-smoking cigarettes and looking through the packs of developed photographs before the customers returned for them.
- You chain-smoked cigarettes, throughout the night.
- The cigarette consumption is voracious - he chain-smokes throughout our interview and has previously smoked his way around the golf course.
- Example sentences
- Not only was she one of the first chain-smokers, but she actually smoked in the street, was known to link arms with servants, and bicycled wearing Liberty frocks.
- There were so many weapons there that I did not even dare smoke and I am a chain-smoker.
- With water all around me I had little choice but to sit under a leaky tarpaulin beside chain-smokers and crying children, only now and then getting a glimpse up into the vast forests I was entering.
Definition of chain-smoke in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan