Definition of chalice in English:
- Without hesitating, she strode to the pillar supporting the glass chalice and firmly grasped the goblet by the stem.
- I don't think you would get away with a ‘Jesus Bar’ advertised by a leering Christ holding a chalice of wine.
- The next day he presented the Senate and plebs with a banquet, his pure, stainless, and holy body, the bread of angels, of which man has partaken, and he set chalices filled with wine before them.
- I poured some wine into my little chalice and set it before him, but when I reached farther into the kit I discovered to my horror that I had forgotten the wafers.
- The infiltration of Manichee notions could be detected when Christians at the Eucharist accepted the host but not the chalice.
- In the 19th century, the temperance and sanitation movements led many Protestants to replace wine and chalice with individual communion cups and grape juice.
poison from Middle English:
A poison does not necessarily need to be in liquid form, but in early use the word meant a drink or medicine, specifically a potion with a harmful or dangerous ingredient. The source was Old French poison ‘magic potion’, from Latin potio, also the source of potion (Middle English). The saying one man's meat is another man's poison has been around for centuries and was being described as long ago as 1604 as ‘that old moth-eaten proverb’. A similar idea is found in the work of the Roman poet and philosopher Lucretius ( c.94–55 bc): ‘What is food to one person may be bitter poison to others.’ A chalice (Middle English) from Latin calix, ‘cup’, also the source of the botanical calix) is a large cup or goblet, and a poisoned chalice something that seems attractive but is likely to be a source of problems. A poisoned chalice features in Shakespeare's Macbeth, and is the source of our expression.
Words that rhyme with chaliceAlice, challis, malice, palace, Tallis
Definition of chalice in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.