Definition of chalicothere in English:
A horselike fossil mammal of the late Tertiary period, with stout claws on the toes instead of hooves.
- Family Chalicotheriidae, order Perissodactyla: several genera, in particular Moropus
- In Eurasia the fauna included early deer and giraffes, the giant indricatheres and chalicotheres that were quite different from the American types.
- A further two groups are known only from the fossil record; these are the chalicotheres and titanotheres.
- My major interest is the chalicotheres, a group of extinct clawed herbivorous perissodactyls.
Definition of chalicothere in:
- British & World English dictionary