Definition of chamise in English:
An evergreen shrub with small narrow leaves, common in the chaparral of California. Also called greasewood.
- Adenostoma fasciculatum, family Rosaceae
- At the higher elevations, manzanita is the abundant shrub, while midslope shrubs include chamise, coffeeberry, redberry, and two kinds of mountain mahoganies.
- The region's ubiquitous chaparral, those lion-colored hills of chamise, oak and manzanita, is an incitement to fire.
- He investigated the question of herb suppression within chamise chaparral.
mid 19th century: from Mexican Spanish chamiso.
Definition of chamise in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia