Definition of chamise in English:
An evergreen shrub with small narrow leaves, common in the chaparral of California. Also called greasewood.
- Adenostoma fasciculatum, family Rosaceae
- At the higher elevations, manzanita is the abundant shrub, while midslope shrubs include chamise, coffeeberry, redberry, and two kinds of mountain mahoganies.
- The region's ubiquitous chaparral, those lion-colored hills of chamise, oak and manzanita, is an incitement to fire.
- He investigated the question of herb suppression within chamise chaparral.
mid 19th century: from Mexican Spanish chamiso.
Definition of chamise in:
- British & World English dictionary