Definition of Chamorro in English:
1A member of the indigenous people of the Mariana Islands (including Guam).
- Chamoru, the ancient language of the Chamorros on Guam, and English are both official languages in Guam.
- Guam is a spiritual place where Chamorros believe in a vigorous spiritual presence melded with Catholic dogma taught by the earliest Spanish missionaries.
- After the 1970s, ethnic tension between Chamorros and Filipinos became pronounced.
2The Austronesian language of the Chamorro.
- The official languages are English, Chamorro, and Carolinian, an Eastern Malayo-Polynesian language that is a combination of dialects from atolls in the area of Truk.
- Guam, or Guahan, (translated as ‘we have’) as it was known in the ancient Chamorro language, is the southernmost and largest island of the Mariana Islands, in the west central Pacific.
- In the Chamorro language of the Northern Marianas, the greeting is hafa adai.
Definition of Chamorro in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.