Definition of champignon in English:
A small edible mushroom with a light brown cap, growing in short grass in both Eurasia and North America and widely grown commercially. Also called meadow mushroom, field mushroom.
- Agaricus campestris, family Agaricaceae, class Basidiomycetes
- A combination of bamboo heart, black fungus, dried black mushrooms, fresh champignons and dried seaweed known as ‘fat chye’ are sometimes referred to as Vegetables Deluxe.
- It's because the guy on the phone doesn't know that a champignon and a mushroom is one and the same thing.
- The British mushroom which was most dried in former times was the champignon or fairy ring mushroom.
Late 16th century: from French, diminutive of Old French champagne 'open country' (see champaign).
Definition of champignon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.