- Britain's recent dearth of sporting champions has also been blamed on schemes that oppose competitiveness.
- The competition ensured that the champion was decided only in the last round of the league.
- What we need is a gladiatorial contest between the representative champions of each political party.
- It needs to recognise that, all too often, it poses as a champion of democracy while supporting regimes which have no proper respect for democracy.
- Only then did California become a champion of environmental protection.
- He is also a strong supporter of devolving power to the regions and is a champion of the campaign to create a directly elected Yorkshire mini-parliament.
- The River Knights watched intensely as one of their own, their champion, Christopher Knight fought John Pavin, their evil nemesis.
- She had never so much as read about medieval knights, and now she had to fight like a champion.
- Despite the occasional champion who amassed riches, most fighters came from extremely poor families, and they remained poor.
- The club has championed a campaign to host a new tournament on the lucrative European Seniors' Tour programme next year.
- Volunteers descended on Brentford's river banks at the weekend to take part in a clean up campaign championed by locals.
- He identified with the oppressed and exploited everywhere and championed their struggles for emancipation.
Middle English (denoting a fighting man): from Old French, from medieval Latin campio(n-) 'fighter', from Latin campus (see camp1).
Title-deciding boxing matches are often contested between the challenger and the defending champion, the holder of the title. But, historically, both boxers would have been described as champions, as the word originally meant ‘a fighting man’. It came from medieval Latin campio ‘fighter or gladiator’, from Latin campus ‘a field, place of combat’. See also campaign
Words that rhyme with championCampion, Grampian, rampion, tampion
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.