Definition of championship in English:
1A contest for the position of champion in a sport, often involving a series of games or matches.
- For the first time, an NFL championship game would be decided in sudden-death overtime.
- The winner of each division would meet in a championship game at the end of the season.
- Apart from the fine display of hurling this was also one of the real sporting games of the championship.
1.1The position or title of winner in a contest or sport.
- This allowed Stirling to go on to add the title to his Bishopscourt championship.
- The two rivals have been engaged in previous tough tussles for the national championship title.
- These two titles in Barcelona take his world championship tally of titles to five.
2The vigorous support or defense of someone or something: Alan’s championship of his estranged wife
More example sentences
- That would at least be in line with his long-established championship of lost causes.
- Such people are not notable for their championship of libertarian causes outside the economic field.
- When C. P. Scott died, the innumerable tributes to him all emphasized his courage and integrity, his humanitarianism and his championship of unpopular causes.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.