Definition of change hands in English:
1(Of a business or building) pass to a different owner.
- May I point out that none of the houses overlooking the cricket pitch has changed hands since the buildings were completed.
- The woodland has changed hands and the new owner is planning to fence it off, thereby denying me access to my club.
- Speculation behind the identity of the buyers had been rife following a flurry of deals last week that saw ownership of the building change hands twice in a matter of hours.
1.1(Of money or a marketable commodity) pass to another person during a business transaction: no money has changed hands
More example sentences
- And a lot of that money changes hands online through credit cards with banks handling those transactions.
- And many crooks prefer dealing with the big places, where the sheer volume of money changing hands covers their tracks.
- So if no product or service exists, and only money is changing hands, head for the door.
Definition of change hands in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India