1(Of a business or building) pass to a different owner.
- May I point out that none of the houses overlooking the cricket pitch has changed hands since the buildings were completed.
- The woodland has changed hands and the new owner is planning to fence it off, thereby denying me access to my club.
- Speculation behind the identity of the buyers had been rife following a flurry of deals last week that saw ownership of the building change hands twice in a matter of hours.
1.1(Of money or a marketable commodity) pass to another person during a business transaction: no money has changed hands
More example sentences
- And a lot of that money changes hands online through credit cards with banks handling those transactions.
- And many crooks prefer dealing with the big places, where the sheer volume of money changing hands covers their tracks.
- So if no product or service exists, and only money is changing hands, head for the door.
Definition of change hands in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.