- Dishes in each region have their own set of characteristic flavours.
- She spoke all along with that characteristic exuberance on her face.
- He battled his illness with characteristic courage and fortitude and displayed a positive attitude to the end.
- A national characteristic has been identified in numerous scientific trials.
- Every facial feature and physical characteristic was identical to Alastair's.
- At the same time, most of these characteristics belong to any good person.
- His early work was on quadratic forms in fields, particularly fields of characteristic 2.
- His habilitation of 1938 studied Lie rings of prime characteristic.
Mid 17th century: from French caractéristique or medieval Latin characteristicus, from Greek kharaktēristikos, from kharaktēr 'a stamping tool'.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.