Definition of chargé d'affaires in English:
noun (plural chargés d'affairesSHärˈzā(z))
1A diplomatic official who temporarily takes the place of an ambassador.
- Wilson had been the chargé d' affaires in Baghdad in 1990 and an ambassador to two African countries before joining President Clinton's National Security Council as a senior specialist on Africa.
- Finn Forsberg, the chargé d' affaires at the Swedish Embassy, said the international community cannot take the lead in ending the war.
- In December the Romanian chargé in Stockholm, George Duca, contacted the British and American ministers in the name of Maniu and Brtianu.
1.1A state’s diplomatic representative in a minor country.
- The government sent a chargé d' affaires to re-establish a diplomatic presence in the country.
- One example of this official support came from the chargé d' affaires at the Libyan Embassy in Abuja, Nigeria.
- Stephen Evans is the British chargé d' affaires in Kabul
Mid 18th century: French, '(a person) in charge of affairs'.
Words that rhyme with chargé d'affairesaffair, affaire, air, Altair, Althusser, Anvers, Apollinaire, Astaire, aware, Ayer, Ayr, bare, bear, bêche-de-mer, beware, billionaire, Blair, blare, Bonaire, cafetière, care, chair, chemin de fer, Cher, Clair, Claire, Clare, commissionaire, compare, concessionaire, cordon sanitaire, couvert, Daguerre, dare, debonair, declare, derrière, despair, doctrinaire, éclair, e'er, elsewhere, ensnare, ere, extraordinaire, Eyre, fair, fare, fayre, Finisterre, flair, flare, Folies-Bergère, forbear, forswear, foursquare, glair, glare, hair, hare, heir, Herr, impair, jardinière, Khmer, Kildare, La Bruyère, lair, laissez-faire, legionnaire, luminaire, mal de mer, mare, mayor, meunière, mid-air, millionaire, misère, Mon-Khmer, multimillionaire, ne'er, Niger, nom de guerre, outstare, outwear, pair, pare, parterre, pear, père, pied-à-terre, Pierre, plein-air, prayer, questionnaire, rare, ready-to-wear, rivière, Rosslare, Santander, savoir faire, scare, secretaire, share, snare, solitaire, Soufrière, spare, square, stair, stare, surface-to-air, swear, Tailleferre, tare, tear, their, there, they're, vin ordinaire, Voltaire, ware, wear, Weston-super-Mare, where, yeah
Definition of chargé d'affaires in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.