Definition of charitable in English:
1Of or relating to the assistance of those in need: charitable works such as care of the sick
More example sentences
- ‘My father did so many charitable things in his lifetime, we would like to continue that work in his good name and build on it,’ said his son Waheed Abbasi.
- Immediately before the second world war the prestigious forerunners of Britain's present day teaching hospitals were financed by charitable contributions.
- Among the lay population, confraternities were an important source of devotional association, mutual aid, and charitable assistance to the poor.
1.1(Of an organization or activity) officially recognized as devoted to the assistance of those in need.
- The proceeds will be donated to charitable organizations and student activities.
- Program officials invite Airmen to contribute to any of the Air Force's four official charitable organizations.
- Those who object to all or some of the activities of churches and other charitable organizations ought not to be obliged to support them through the tax system.
1.2Generous in giving to those in need.
- He's pessimistic about human nature; while he acknowledges that we can be nice, charitable, generous and altruistic, he's too smart to rely on it.
- Helen, like so many Irish girls of the era, was all so generous and charitable to visitors and fellow Irish people during the ‘golden era’.
- Anything else we do after that is charitable and generous.
2Apt to judge others leniently or favorably: those who were less charitable called for his resignation
More example sentences
- In handling the disputes of which daily life in Massachusetts was full, he was unfailingly humble, flexible, lenient, charitable, and fair.
- After seventy-five years, less charitable readers might well judge him ready for retirement.
- In future, the movement will be more humane, more charitable with a greater respect for dissenting opinion, there will be less purges and more accommodation.
- Example sentences
- The verse has on many occasions inspired the noblest thoughts of toleration and charitableness.
- In a further expression of charitableness, Paddy's widow Josephine and her four sons presented the library with a wonderful gift of text books.
- He was no longer surprised at his charitableness towards Joel.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.