noun[in singular] North American • informal
- A cramp or feeling of stiffness in an arm or leg.More example sentences
- And with the interruption of the body's normal nerve control, quadriplegics commonly suffer from muscle spasms - think of the worst charley horse you've ever had, one that threatens to strike at any time, in any situation.
- ‘I just got a charley horse,’ she told him casually.
- He's so tough that he played in the first round against the team despite a charley horse that caused significant swelling in his right thigh.
late 19th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of charley horseDefinition of charley horse in:
- The British & World English dictionary