Definition of chartreuse in English:
1A pale green or yellow liqueur made from brandy and aromatic herbs.
- The skin should also include all the white pith (leaving the grapefruit flesh that can be cut up, sweetened and marinated in some green chartreuse for another meal like breakfast).
- Thujone is extracted from the wormwood leaves used in flavouring absinthe as well as vermouth and green chartreuse.
- For Jim it was sipping green chartreuse outside the Angel in Easingwold with only 12 miles to the York finish line.
1.1A pale yellow or green color resembling the liqueur chartreuse.
- Bold oranges, pinks and greens - but not chartreuse - are the hot hues among today's young home furnishers.
- Her coordinated use of color - burgundy, chartreuse, pink, purple, and blue - ties the garden together.
- Add a third color to enhance the other two: chartreuse with purple and orange, for example, or pink with yellow and blue.
2A dish made in a mold using pieces of meat, vegetables, or (now most often) fruit in jelly.
- And then a scallop raviolo came with a chartreuse and lobster sauce that was the richest and most ambitious of the day and, as it happens, the most successful.
- And the pale green pistachios actually perfected the presentation (mahogany duck, pale yellow sauce/cheese, chartreuse and mid-tan nuts).
- Still, he deftly accessorizes the dish with flying fish roe turned chartreuse with wasabi and a clever fried wonton basket bearing snappy daikon radish and pea shoots.
Words that rhyme with chartreuseagents provocateurs, berceuse, chanteuse, charmeuse, chauffeuse, coiffeurs, danseuse, diseuse, furze, hers, messieurs, Meuse, secateurs, vendeuse
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.