Definition of chaste tree in English:
A southern European shrub with blue or white flowers, grown as an ornamental. It is also highly valued for its dark purple berries, which yield medicinal preparations used to treat gynecological conditions. Also called vitex.
- Vitex agnus-castus, family Verbenaceae
- Some of the herbs that are listed as ingredients include damiana, chaste tree, black cohosh and saw palmetto.
- I have a chaste tree with a nice full shape, but the upper limbs seem spindly, and they all lean in one direction.
- Eating a whole foods diet, trying acupuncture, and taking herbs like chaste tree (Virex agnus-castus) may, after several months, ease symptoms.
mid 16th century: so named because of its association with chastity in sacrifices to Ceres.
Definition of chaste tree in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan