Definition of cheapjack in English:
A seller of cheap inferior goods, typically a hawker at a fair or market.
- A cheapjack calling himself Dr Marigold took pity on this deaf and dumb child who resembled his daughter who had died.
- The days when the farmer was the cheapjack are over.
- However, it can scarcely have always been so, unless every fairground showman, circus performer, strolling player, cheapjack and Punch and Judy man in history was gay, which seems somewhat unlikely.
adjectivechiefly North American Back to top
Of inferior quality.
- It was a cheapjack company that paid writers and artists at rates ranging from poor to involuntary servitude, then printed their wares on presses that were outmoded.
- The director decided to take ‘the opportunity to beat his cheapjack imitators at their own game’.
- I looked forward to that, and began reading avidly, but soon the sonnets went off into a very cheapjack self parody, and I thought oh, how easy!
Definition of cheapjack in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia