A North American butterfly with pale markings on the wings that typically form a checkered pattern.
- Euphydryas and other genera, subfamily Melitaeinae, family Nymphalidae: several species, in particular the Baltimore checkerspot (E. phaeton)
More example sentences
- Our biologists are working with Mexican and American partners now to recover the light-footed clapper rail, the Quino checkerspot butterfly, the ocelot, and many other species.
- The acquisitions will add to the adjacent conservation areas and are essential to recovery of the Quino checkerspot butterfly (Euphydryas editha quino).
- Residential and commercial development, invasive non-native plants, and air pollution threaten the survival of the bay checkerspot butterfly.
Definition of checkerspot in:
- The British & World English dictionary