noun (plural chedarim /KHeˈdärim/, cheders)
- A school for Jewish children in which Hebrew and religious knowledge are taught.More example sentences
- Religious education was once taught in a heder, an eastern European elementary school for boys.
- Klausner was born near Vilna in 1874 and began his education in a traditional Jewish heder, or schoolhouse.
- I remember this; when I was about nine or ten, and fervent into my Jewish education (I used to go to extra cheder (Hebrew school) on Tuesday, just because I wanted to), I took Yom Kippur very seriously.
late 19th century: from Hebrew ḥeḏer 'room'.
More definitions of chederDefinition of cheder in:
- The British & World English dictionary