Definition of cheerleader in English:
1A member of a team that performs organized cheering, chanting, and dancing in support of a sports team.
- He compared this to pyramids made by cheerleaders at sports events and parents putting tethers on toddlers.
- It is tradition for the lead cheerleader to date the football captain.
- In each event, the cheerleader failed to complete the flip and landed on his or her head.
1.1An enthusiastic and vocal supporter: he was a cheerleader for individual initiative
More example sentences
- But her most vocal cheerleaders are her children Max and Stella, aged eight and six respectively.
- It is more like self-help with an enthusiastic cheerleader.
- His religious supporters are his greatest cheerleaders.
cheerlead verb (past and past participle cheerled)
- Example sentences
- I'm afraid I'm not able to cheerlead much at the moment, though.
- We don't have to cheerlead in our boxers anymore!
- He put the team ahead of personal goals and ambitions, taking upon himself to mentor and cheerlead for his understudy-turned-starter.
Words that rhyme with cheerleadercopyreader
Definition of cheerleader in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan